Insta Products is supporting the development of groundnut value chain in Turkana county for enhanced economic integration and self-reliance.
The goals of the project are:
- Provide a reliable income opportunity from agribusiness and trade from the market
- Increase household ability to access safe and nutritious food through own production.
- Enable Refugee and host communities to produce beyond subsistence levels through commercially oriented modern agronomical expertise and training.
- Economically integrate farmers with the market.
- Create sustainable growth through robust producer institutions, availability of quality seeds, economies of scale, and employment creation throughout the value chain
High nutritive value
Groundnuts are a critical food crop in food security due to its high protein and micronutrient content.
Tolerates drought well
Turkana county is arid and receives inconsistent rains.
High return as a field crop
Farmers can earn more per acre farmed compared to alternatives like maize.
Ready and large market
Insta Products can buy more than 6000 metric tons per year.